Pinterest consist of a pin board-style photo-sharing site that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, and hobbies. Users can browse other “pin boards” for images, “re-pin” images to their own pin boards, or “like” photos. The site was founded by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp. It is managed by Cold Brew Labs and funded by a small group of entrepreneurs and investors.
Important Pinterest Events:
- Pinterest started in December 2009.
- The site launched as a closed beta in March 2010.
- Silbermann personally wrote to the site’s first 5,000 users offering his personal phone number and even meeting with some of its users.
- Nine months after launch the website had 10,000 users.
- On 16 August 2011, Time magazine listed Pinterest in its “50 Best Websites of 2011” article.
- Pinterest Mobile launched September 2011.
- In December 2011, the site became one of the top 10 largest social network services, with 11 million total visits per week.
- On January 2012, the company was named the best new startup of 2011 by TechCrunch.
- In January 2012, the site had 11.7 million unique users, making it the fastest site in history to break through the 10 million unique visitor mark.
- On 23 March 2012, Pinterest unveiled updated terms of service that eliminated the policy that gave it the right to sell its users’ content.
- It became the third largest social network in the United States in March 2012, behind Facebook and Twitter.
- On 17 May 2012, Japanese electronic commerce company Rakuten announced it was leading a $100 million investment in Pinterest, alongside investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, and FirstMark Capital, based on a valuation of $1.5 billion.
- In October 2012, Pinterest announced a new feature that would allow users to report others for negative and offensive activity or block other users if they do not want to view their content. Pinterest said they want to keep their community “positive and respectful”.
- Also in October, Pinterest launched business accounts allowing businesses to either convert their existing personal accounts into business accounts, or start from scratch.
- In March 2013, Pinterest acquired Livestar.